Approximately 1.5 million people in the UK claimed to follow a plant-based diet in 2020 #WorldVegetarianDay #vegan #plantbased Click To Tweet
From daily walks to getting in that 5-a-day, the past two years have made all of us consider our health and wellbeing more seriously. With this in mind, it comes as no surprise that the number of people turning to meat-free diets in the UK has been on the rise. According to Finder.com, approximately 1.5 million people claimed to follow a plant-based diet in 2020, with a 40% rise in vegan diets in particular. But whether you’re flexi, veggie, pescetarian, or vegan, you can certainly reap the benefits of a diet with less meat. Some of the most common benefits of eating less meat include: better heart health, lowered blood pressure, and reduced risk of diseases such as cancer and type 2 diabetes. Here at Veo we’re all about promoting products that are healthy, kind and sustainable so our Food & Drink section (as well as everything else on our site) is 100% vegan as standard!
In honour of #WorldVegetarianDay, we’ve collaborated with Lara Sayegh from Fresh Greens Blog to bring you the most delicious, healthy stir fry recipe using organic tempeh, a fantastic meat alternative from Better Nature. Tempeh is a type of fermented food containing prebiotics that are known to promote better gut health as well as being a nutrient-rich source of protein. Stir-fries are an easy way to get started on a veggie diet, using up leftover vegetables which reduces waste while ensuring you get a wealth of nutrients with great flavour to match! Check out the recipe below!
Vegan Tempeh Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce
Servings | 4
Prep Time | 15 mins
Cook Time | 30 mins
- 1 tbsp Fresh Ginger
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 340g Organic Tempeh
- 200g White Cabbage
- 1 Brocolli, cut into small pieces
- 1 Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Combine peanut sauce ingredients in a food blender, and blend until the peanut sauce is creamy smooth.
- In a large wok, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh, and let it fry for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. When the tempeh looks crispy remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Using the same pan, add in the cabbage and sauté over low heat until soft and tender, about 10-15 minutes. Add in the brocolli and stir for a few minutes. Then, add tempeh and add peanut sauce. Toss to coat and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Top with sesame seeds and green onion (optional). Enjoy!
Considering a veggie diet but not sure where to start? We have a fantastic range of meat alternatives right here on Veo that are healthy and nutritious but don’t miss out on the flavours you love.